A mouthguard is a protective device for people who have different dental needs. The function of a mouthguard is to protect your teeth from sports injuries and teeth grinding because it absorbs the force that you receive when you are playing sports or when you are grinding your teeth. Mouthguards consist of a plastic material, which is why you need to wear them when you are engaging in extreme sports such as basketball, boxing, football, volleyball, and wrestling. At McCall Dental, we can help you provide custom-made mouthguards according to your oral structure.
Who can use mouthguards?
As aforementioned, people who engage in contact sports experience oral problems such as TMJ disorder, snoring, sleep apnea, and teeth grinding. Mouthguards are essential on any special occasion if you are experiencing the mentioned disorders or are an athlete of contact sports. If the said disorders are left untreated, they might end up more complicated and might need more costly treatment such as TMJ treatment.
Why are mouthguards important for dental disorders?
While most people might ignore dental disorders, it can be an indication of an underlying problem. You should consult your Calgary Dentist first to know if you need a mouthguard.
- Snoring is a common habit for most people because of many possible reasons such as ageing, being overweight, and medication. Mouthguards can be of great help when it comes to fixing snoring problems by moving the lower jaw to adjust it forward slightly.
- Mouthguards are also helpful for people who are suffering from sleep apnea. It is because sleep apnea can develop into serious and life-threatening conditions. Mouthguards help fix sleep apnea by adjusting the lower jaw and tongue to avoid blocking your airway.
- Teeth grinding or Bruxism is also a usual problem for people. It can help people minimize grinding their teeth with mouthguards because mouthguards make a barrier between the top and bottom parts of your teeth.
- Lastly, mouthguards can aid and provide relief to people suffering from TMJ disorder by simply realigning their jaws properly every day.
How do you care for your mouthguard?
- Rinse your mouthguard with soap or toothpaste and tap water to eliminate food particles in your mouthguard and allow it to air-dry.
- Do not leave your mouthguard everywhere or neglect it because heat may damage your mouthguard, and it might get damaged.
- Visit your Calgary Dentistry regularly for a regular checkup while at the same time letting them inspect the durability and effectiveness of your mouthguard.
- It is always important to store your mouthguard in a case to avoid bacterial growth. If mouthguards are not in a good mouthguard case, they will be more prone to bacterial growth.
What are the benefits of a mouthguard?
- Provide comfort for people who are experiencing disorders and oral discomfort
- Protects your teeth and gums from contact sports and avoid injury to the jaw and chipped tooth
- Protects people with braces who are experiencing teeth grinding or contact sports
In summary, Calgary mouthguards are great dental protection for people of all ages, especially athletes and people with disorders. Our team at McCall Dental can provide and help you choose the type of mouthguard that is right for you. Call us at 587-747-0888 to schedule your appointment.